According to Co-Founder and CEO Evan Spiegal, Snapchat users send 400 million “snaps” each day! There were 20 million photos shared in 2012, increasing to 350 million by September 2013. At any given time, there are 25-30 million people in the world actively using the app, most of whom fall into the highly sought after target markets.
The challenge for a company that isn’t use to a social sharing app, such as Snapchat, is when to use it. Marketing-wise, there are numerous options when it comes to timing. A company can use an existing campaign, create a new Snapchat-specific campaign, or create a nice holiday greeting!
Timing is key, so you don’t want to overload users with spam. If your company has a lot a multitude of content to share, create a Snapchat story This allows the user to see a fluid narrative through many “snaps” that are viewable for up tp 24 hours.
Sending “snaps” involving special promotions or events can influence traffic, especially if you bundle in a coupon or freebie.
Brands On Snapchat:
- Taco Bell: Taco Bell recently started using Snapchat to announce the re-release of its “Beefy Crunchy Burrito” and other new additions. Users who add TacoBell as a friend receive a “snap” of the burritos and new product’s release date.
- Acura: Acura used Snapchat to give its first 100 followers a chance to see the new NSX prototype, sending them a short clip of the car, a video the brand later posted on Instagram.
- Wet Seal: Teen retailer Wet Seal handed over its account to a 16-year-old blogger for two days, resulting in 9,000 new followers and 6,000 views of the “My Story.”
There are 5 important tips to remember when marketing using Snapchat:
- Infuse Personality Into Your Brand: Take a video of everyone singing happy birthday to your company on its anniversary. Take a picture of the relay team for a charity event. Occasionally, use Snapchat to show that you’re a company of people — people just like the users.
- Highlight Company Events Using Stories: Use Snapchat for your company’s big event coming up, the fans might want to see just that. Another idea is to possibly update fans about a daylong project, from beginning to the end result.
- Draw Superfans To Your Online Store: The easiest way to draw a crowd in is to have a sale. Snapchat allows you to send an especially highly discounted offer only to those who have added you on this app.
- Brand Specific Content: The power of using a visual in marketing makes for a very effective approach to communicating a compelling and complex message to the users.
- Embrace The Screenshot: Companies can create a contest, calling users to take screenshots of “snaps”, that could win them a prize of some sort.