Despite the peculiar name, Tumblr has amassed a great following after Yahoo purchased the social media platform for over $1 Billion dollars. This platform changed the idea of blogging to include microblogging, consisting of shorter form content pictures, sentences and videos, somewhat like Twitter.
Content marketing is a crucial aspect in creating brand awareness, but what social media platform is the right outlet? Re-introducing Tumblr, the hybrid website that offers part social network and part blogging platform. If your business is already using social networks for social sharing, the need to incorporate Tumblr is a most!
Users stay on the Tumblr website for an average of 14 minutes, which is consequently longer than the users that are spending time on Twitter and Facebook.
Just like Twitter’s hashtags, Tumblr uses a tagging feature, a way to separate content as well as archiving content. Also like Twitter’s “re-tweet”, Tumblr has the “re-blog”, which allows users to share content with their followers. Users will see your content on their “tumblog”, just like Facebook’s “Newsfeed” or Twitter’s “Timeline”. Most importantly, Tumblr will drive traffic back to the main website, if used as a subsidiary to a main website.
Tumblr.com/about stated: “Tumblr lets you effortlessly share anything. Post text, photos, quotes, links, music, and videos from your browser, phone desktop email or wherever you happen to be. You can customize everything, from colors to your theme’s HTML.”
Some quick facts about this social media platform:
- In April 2013, Tumblr’s website received more than 13 billion global page views.
- As of March 3, 2014, over 110.2 million posts were created on site each day.
- 80.3 billion posts totaled
- Tumblr is the 19th most popular website in the United States and 32nd in the world.
When deciding to use Tumblr as a social media platform for marketing, a business must ensure that these simple steps are taken:
- More Visual Less Verbose: Marketing on Tumblr can be a hard task. Finding the medium between pictures and texts will help create more traffic through your posts.
- Be Brief: Once the reader’s attention has been grabbed, they should also immediately know what you’re talking about. The quicker an individual understands the content, the more likely they will receive likes and be reblogged.
- Integrating All Social Media: Interlinking social media platforms together will improve the face of your brand in the user’s eye. Also, add social media buttons to share your posts-because if your content is high quality, people will have the opportunity to promote your tumblog on their own.
- User-Friendly Design: Watch web design trends, seeing what is popular nowadays, as well as checking themes of other succesful tumblogs.
- Hipster Humor: This essentially means not only having passion for vintage and trends, but also a specific ironical outlook of the world.
Any business looking to create a succesful Tumblr account should keep in mind these trick and tips!
*Comments/Editing is always welcomed!